Friday, July 2, 2010

Roxy's First Year of Life

I spend alot of time thinking about where Roxy came from and who her parents might be. Recently I have started to think more about how Roxy's first year of life might have affected her as the horse she is today. By 'reading the horse' I am starting to believe that you can probably tell quite a bit about a time that you know nothing about.

What I do know is that as yearling Roxy was subjected to the Camden Sale Yards. Bought by her previous owner as she was 'too cute' she then spent the next 3 years in a paddock near a main road and a little time somewhere near Yass after being started. And we all know what she got up to down there!

So I have been thinking about some of the things Roxy objects too, her possible breeding and her lack of brands and basic behaviour and this is what I have come up with.

I believe that Roxy was born in a rural area maybe further out west of NSW and possibly by mistake. Given that she has no brands, she wasnt bred for a specific purpose and or the people who had her, didnt have the money to go through with the paperwork and processes involved and or she just had no breeding.

Once she reached one year old NSW was in the grip of a massive drought and a foal was an extra mouth that they couldnt keep feeding and she was, like most extra horses at this time, just sent to the sales.

Again referring to the drought I doubt that Roxy has seen much if any water over the years. Her preference for drinking is from muddy dam water or troughs and when I first purchased her water crossing of any kind was a real issue.

Roxy hasnt been mishandled as she really doesnt display any psychological scars, although she does get grumpy when trying to put on the bridle and she is a bit cinchy. This leads me to think that she was broken in the 'old' way and probably a bit rushed. Being left brain the process was probably all a bit quick for her. Despite this she still maintains a basic trust in humans but a preference for the herd. Roxy always places herself at the back of a herd. Her previous owner would have had alot of horses coming and going, so for Roxy being at the back meant safety and protection from new horses and new events. To this day she still prefers the back of the herd but now I find her sometimes in the middle.

The confidence that Roxy lacks is just because she is green. Traffic and the bush has never really bothered her given where she grew up this makes sense but like any horse in a new environment all the other stuff is just a learning process.

Now back to the fact that Roxy has had to endure the sale yards at such a tender age. My main clue to her left over objection from her treatment there is her dislike of cemented yards and mud. Of the few I pass she shows a minute but true fear which get's me thinking that she still associates that environment with the overwhelming fear and terror that she must have felt being herded in there and luckily for me saved.

On a positive note Roxy really likes cows and sheep, another clue to her possible first year of life maybe on a large cattle farm or sheep farm?

Finally to kind of summarise. Roxy was born and allowed to be a horse, she was handled and probably very sweet but for whatever reason had to go. She lacks confidence at times,like any horse, and was rushed in the breaking process. She doesnt forget easily, and is learning to trust but not without asking why. She accepts things once she sees no reason to be afraid, but still relies on the safety of the herd.

I feel that as my relationship with Roxy grows she trust' s me more and more not to make her do anything that might upset her or put either of us in a dangerous position. My main goal now is for Roxy to WANT to do things because at the end of the day they are fun and safe. You cant MAKE Roxy do anything she will fight back and if you dont take the time to see things the way she does you will lose. She is not intentional in her arguments, I feel now that she just wants to make sure I am sure and then she tends to adopt her 'oh well ok then' attitude.

Whoever let that little yearling get on a truck to the sales all those years ago made a huge mistake but I am so glad that they did.

xxx
Lorrie









No comments:

Post a Comment