Monday, June 1, 2009

Float Towing, Trail Riding, Train Tunnels and a lame horse!

This year on many an occasion I have missed an ATHRA ride due to not having a float or prior commitments...this month however with the help of my new friend Regina, we decided to splurge and invest in a days worth of float hire and head off Sunday to the latest ATHRA ride which was in Helensburgh

It is here I must point out one important piece of information...after riding my whole life I have not once towed a horse float.

It was a mixture of nerves and excitement when we collected the float on Saturday and I found it rather easy to do. I was delighted, this was going to be  a breeze as long as I took it slow and steady.

Sunday morning Regina and I loaded the horses and headed off. The horses, Monty and George, were very well behaved and we arrived with plenty of time to enjoy morning tea before riding out at 9.30am.

It looked like rain so I put on my new long Drizabone coat and felt quite the part as we headed off into some beautiful terrain. It reminded me so much of the rides I did with Pasha, I was loving it!

We continued along for about an hour and a half before coming to the legendary train tunnel. It is an abandoned tunnel that runs alongside the main line. I had no intention of going through the tunnel, as I was told there was a way to go around it instead. On this particular day however it didn't seem  like that option was open to us and everyone was pretty much told to head on through. I decided that if other horses could do it so could I. The first group entered and there was some carry on but generally everything went OK. My group however had two horses in front that refused to go forward. Who would blame them it was pitch black!!! After dropping my horse boot at the entrance to the tunnel I grabbed it and mounted back up and head through...first. Monty was so brave and I coaxed her gently through, once she saw the light her walk picked up speed and we were out safe and sound and I was so proud of her. I got off to reattach my boot to the saddle and I noticed a cut above her back nearside hoof and then when I tried to walk her she couldn't walk. I was shocked...what the hell had happened?

The cut looked minor so I was seriously concerned that Monty has strained something or was foot sore from stepping on a rock. Whatever the case it had happened in the tunnel there was no question.

I walked her forward and she seemed to start to go OK, so with every one's advise I hopped back on. We hit the next hill and there was no doubt Monty was not going well at all. We got to the top, I put her front boots on and still she struggled. We were as far from the base as we could be and my horse was lame. I was gutted.

Soon I had the trail boss telling me that they had decided to get the local bloke Alan, who was leading the ride, to help me take a short cut and get me back to the floats. Please remember at this point I am taking the 'trail leader' with me!

So we head off in the opposite direction. At this point I was still riding Monty but a few meters later it was decided that riding her was no longer an option. 

So now my new friend Alan told me to jump up behind him and we would lead Monty out. After a very clumsy scramble onto the back of his horse we were on our way, but it was getting more and more difficult to keep Monty going. We made it to the fire trail and it was here that Monty said no more. Alan decided that we should leave Monty tied firmly to a tree and double back to the float and bring the float to Monty. So off we went and although a little awkward riding double with a complete stranger I was so grateful for the help. 

So we get back to the float and put Alan's horse on and head back for Monty...here I go ...amateur float tower about to go bush and rescue the stranded brumby!

We get back to Monty and there she is eating the grass with an 'about time' look in her eye. We load her up and now I have to try to turn this thing around...nothing like the deep end AGAIN!

I have to say with some guidance from Alan it only took me two goes to get it around at, least something was working out. 

We floated Monty back to the spot where we were meeting for lunch. I cleaned her up and Alan confirmed that it was indeed the puncture to her coronet band (above the hoof near the hairline) that was causing her pain.

We had also noticed that the rest of the group who should have beaten us to lunch weren't here yet....they arrived shortly after, however they did point out that they had been lost for a while...remember I took the trail leader...gggeeezzz could I cause anymore trouble.

We had lunch and Regina and I decided to beat the impending weather and head off home. We farewelled everyone and after a wrong turn onto the free way followed by a u-turn at Waterfall we were heading home.

Back home I unloaded Monty and she was in SO much pain she could barely put weight on the foot. I yarded her up, gave her some feed and raced off to the vet for some tetanus shots ......($40 later !!!!!)... I have Monty medicated and washed up and I let her go. She didnt even flinch with the two needles to the neck..such a brave horse.

I have been close to tears (and quietly letting a few go) and again I only just hold it together as I see her hobble off. 

I go and spend some quality time with Roxy and Tahoe and then went on to spend a restless night worrying about how Monty was going.

This morning after dropping off Jade to school, I race out there and take the car into the paddock and up the hill to where Monty is lying down resting. I don't panic as this is normal for the horses to take turns sleeping. Thankfully I notice no swelling or heat in her leg and get her up to flush the wound and give her some more meds for the pain. It looks like she will be fine but I will spend the next few days monitoring her to make sure.

Phew I tell ya, life is not boring and it was almost more than I could handle for one day, I am grateful that Monty's mum (hi Rhonda) took it so well and was understanding. 

Until the next installment from my crazy life,  send Monty some get well vibes and catch ya

Love Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment