Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Horsey Hormones

Three weeks ago while riding Leah and I took a stab at how much we think Roxy would be worth in the market right now...I was thinking $3000 or so Leah's guess was more like $5000-$6000...while optimistic, Roxy had been going so well that a few days later I was bragging that she was clearly worth $8000..this was all tongue in cheek but have you seen what is out there? It wouldn't be a huge stretch.

Then two weeks ago on a Tuesday I noticed Roxy was a little out of sorts. She has been in season a few times this spring but NEVER really went nutso like some mares do...It is here that I point out that I spoke WAY too soon about Roxy's 'quiet' cycles.

I knew something was up when Roxy started shying on a trail that only the weekend before she had handled brilliantly. Things turned a little pear shaped when a man stood up out of his garden and Roxy took off. Luckily my superb independent seat (and alot of luck) kept me on and I realised that today I had my hands full.

Four days later I was in the same boat. Riding up the back paddock and again she turns into a psycho...for the first time and for my own safety I got the hell off. Roxy was then made to do ground work until her focus shifted back to me...value of horse now? Somewhere between No Name Dog Food and PAL....nah only joking..but I had come to understand that my Roxy was a raging hormone machine who was beside herself with PMS...I know exactly how she felt!

Fast forward to this week and other than a bit of an issue with a bread crate, which in her defense was a little scary looking, she was back to her big brave self.

They say that animals are often like their owners, no wonder I have inherited a headstrong, stubborn, PMS'ing, like to be the boss, indifferent mare.

Lord help us :-)

Until the next adventure...Yee Haaa!


2 comments:

  1. Abbey is a very different horse when she is in season. the first coupe of times I thought it was all my fault and that I'd never be able to do anything right with her, then it stops and she is back to being a sweetie again.......mares! and that includes me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL it is bizarre some will tell you it doesn't exist but it sure as hell does! :-) Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete