Monday, February 9, 2009

Finally baby Tahoe is here!!

Well finally after all the waiting on Saturday night Tahoe was born.

I had already spent two nights camping just in case. On the second night Roxy's udder starting waxing and dripping milk so I knew we were very close.

On Saturday morning I checked on her and her legs were covered in dry milk she was pacing and irritable....but it was extremely hot so I knew mother nature would get her to hold on until night time.

I packed my car again and two cans of Jim Beam and Coke as well as a nice chunky magazine to help me pass the time. I cleaned her up and then spent some time hanging around with her. I soon found that Roxy seems to have a thing for bourbon! I knew there was a reason we were together. Not interested in carrots, apples or bread but that can of Bourbon well forget about impending labour she wanted a piece of that! Just for the record I only let her sniff :-)




A few minutes later one of the girls that I know out there came up to see how it was going on her way out to feed her horse, she stayed with me and we ended up talking and hanging out with Roxy until well after dark.

At about 10.15 Roxy's behaviour started to get unusual. She kept coming over to Bindi and I for reassurance and we noted that she was getting very hot and sweaty. Labour had started. A few more minutes and Bindi noticed that Roxy kept heading for the more protected corner of the paddock. Next minute Roxy starts circling and down she goes. I have NEVER seen Roxy lie down not even to roll so my adrenaline raced and I grabbed the phone to call another friend Christine who owns the property where Roxy is kept. I couldn't get through and wondered if I was over reacting to early. Roxy got back to her feet and I thought that maybe we have a bit more time yet. Seconds later she went down again...nope this was happening now. We heard the loudest grunt, and saw her legs go stiff. I grabbed the phone and called Christine again (she was at a party) and this time she answered. I told her " its on Roxy is down and pushing but I don't think you will make it in time".

Bindi and I decided it might be a good idea to head to the other side of the paddock for a better look. I wanted to make sure that the bag was open so the foal could breath. After a bit of mad dashing to find the right place to approach I crawled under the fence and quietly approached Roxy's back side. There in the dark were two small hooves, a nose and most of the head. I brushed my fingers down his face to make sure he was out of the bag. The fullish moon helped me see that all was ok so far.

Bindi and I dash out of the way again and then I think...wow is it moving? So off we go again this time with a torch and creep around the bottom side of the paddock. We slowly shine the torch up and see a dark leggy shape wriggling around...ok so now we know he is moving.

As we head back Christine arrived home and went inside and got her torch. We then all sat in the paddock about 20 metres away and watched the little guy begin to start trying to get up. Roxy is lying down resting but intently watching the slimy black creature. A few seconds later and we hear the little guy nickering, he is strong and well on his way to standing.

About an hour later and finally after many failed attempts we silently cheer as we see him get to his feet. There is the dark was a solid black foal with no markings at all just like his mum. We watched for a bit longer and then decided to leave them to it. Before I left I though...oh I really want to know if it is a boy or a girl? I might add at this point that it has probably been 25-30 years since I have seen a new born foal. I crouched over to the pair of them reassuring Roxy that is was just me and shined the torch underneath...I didn't see anything so I go "Its a filly!"...I went home and told everyone we had a girl.

Sunday morning I could barely contain myself and took off to see them again. There they were in the paddock, Tahoe lying down and Roxy standing over him. It was then I noticed that we had a colt not a filly and to be honest the idea of a little solid black colt was pretty exciting.





So I spent some time with them and have started the journey of getting Tahoe used to humans while reassuring Roxy that I still love her, even more now!

She is a fantastic mum and showed that when we had the vet out last night to help Tahoe with his constipation and to check Roxy over. She was very protective but not mean at all. Roxy sniffed Leah while she held Tahoe, sniffed Tahoe and then me and was ok once she realised that we were all only here to help. I LOVE THAT MARE!!


So that is the birth of Tahoe, many more months of tales to tell and I am excited that I might be able to find a good home for Tahoe given that he is such a fine looking foal.

Cheers
Lorrie
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo... congratulation Lorrie and Roxie on the birth of a beautiful black colt.

    Waht a wonderful name too, I love it. I visited Lake Tahoe and it is just beautiful there. I bet Tahoe will grow up to be just stunning :).

    Please post some photos on the forum, unless you already have done it.

    Cheers

    Petra (Stubby)

    ReplyDelete