Saturday, January 3, 2009

Yep Roxy is up the Duff!

Times have been crazy since I last blogged on here but most everyone knows by now that Roxy is havin a bubba!

The day before NYE while I rested her in a creek to deal with a swollen fetlock I noticed definite movement in her belly. I sat there in semi disbelief until I saw it a few more times and just resigned myself to the truth.

The vet came out the next day at 1pm before which time I paced like a frantic mother. He treated her in a most unlady like manner and confirmed that yes she was preggo and probably had about 4 weeks to go.

Well I took some deep breaths and went into action. Getting her a new paddock, getting her fed properly and getting some answers.

The previous owner and I have spoken and it turns out that Roxy got up to some mischief during a spell at Yass and is also one of the small percentage of horses that still comes into season even though she is in foal. It completely explains why I didn't see her come into season as she was no longer with the gelding that brought her on.

Anyway I now have a mare that needs a visit from me everyday and I am anxiously doing a crash course in Equine Reproduction so I can be as prepared as possible.

Roxy is still doing some Quantum Savvy homework but is basically just getting some weight back on to give her and her foal the best chance at a healthy outcome.

What is beautiful is that Roxy has come to life since we started the proper feeding 4 days ago and that is wonderful.

Luckily for me a friend has offered her horse for me to ride on Tuesdays which I am very grateful for and I have offered my services as the all round helper on the ATHRA trail rides. I went today to one of their training day and even though I could only watch I met a fantastic bunch of people.

So I will keep the blog updated on Roxy's progress and fingers crossed it all goes as nature intended!

Cheers
Love Lorrie

No comments:

Post a Comment